Bestwood: 1872/78 to 1967

bestwood[1]The pit shaft was sunk in 1872 and then went on to become operational in the year of 1878, by the Bestwood Coal and Iron Co Ltd. The life of the mine continued, eventually merging with neighbouring Linby Colliery.

The Colliery Manager was a founder member of the Bestwood Male Voice Choir and went on to do performances locally, nationally and in other countries.

Following the closure of the pit, the site was transformed in to a country park which is visited by many people.