Bilsthorpe: 1925/28 to 1997

The pit began to be developed in July 1925 with two shafts and was completed in 1928, closing in 1997 after 70 years of coal production. Sadly Bilsthorpe Colliery was the focus of National and International media attention on 18 August 1993 when a roof collapsed in the underground, killing several. A memorial to the dead miners was also erected outside the colliery.

In 1997 saw the last miner leave the pit and a concrete cap was laid on the pit shaft and four weeks later the headstocks were demolished.