The start of the sinking of the shaft was around 1842. It closed as a working pit when the seams were exhausted. The shafts were kept open until 1970 for access to neighbouring pits, and allow better ventilation as this was the most important factor, keeping miners safe and avoid more explosions of methane gas.
The headstocks were removed and stored for a period before being re-erected on the original site.
It is now landscaped and has been turned into a very pleasant picnic area with nature walks over the pit tips.