Known locally as the Summit Pit and was situated at the Lowmoor Road end of Southwell Lane. The Butterley Company bought the land at East Kirkby in 1887 and Summit Colliery was sunk. At one time this colliery was one of the largest in the country. Houses for the miners and their families were built around this time off Lowmoor Road. The Summit Colliery closed in 1969 with over 1000 loss of jobs and certainly in its prime years was one of the main suppliers of employment. Some of the miners working at Summit came from as far away as Wales and have settled over the years following the pit closure. As with many pits, Summit had a great Brass band, competing in many competitions in the UK.
The only building left standing at the site of Summit Pit is the pit-head baths which is now owned by Kirkby Tyres Co.