Teversal Pit was also known as Butcherwood Pit. The sinking of the mine shaft was in 1867 in Butcherwood at Teversal by John & George Crompton. It is recorded with historians that the business of John & George led on to forming the Stanton Iron Works Company. The shaft once sunk was known to be one of the most shallowest that we had in Nottinghamshire. Like many pits in the area and after 110 years of productivity, Teversal finally closed in 1980 several years before the neighbouring pits of Sutton and Silverhill. The mine was demolished and for some time was left as empty waste ground but over the years to follow, most of the area have been transformed into wildlife friendly country parks.