Warsop: 1893/95 to 1989

Coal started being produced in the early 1890’s following the sinking of the shaft by Staveley Coal & Iron Co who were keen to benefit from the rich 6ft thick seams of high quality coal. Around 1935 Warsop Main Colliery became one of if not the most advanced pit in the country, extracting coal output of 21,000 tons per week and employing 2500 miners. There were four seams at Warsop Main, Seep Soft, The Clowne, Main Bright and High Hazel producing quality coal. The last shifts were worked August 1989, with demolition and clearing of the site completed and by November the falling of the second headgear fell marking the end of an era.