Wollaton: 1872/73 to 1966

wollaton

Wollaton Colliery was located to the north-west of Wollaton and had the benefits of Nottingham Canal which linked in Cromford down the Derwent Valley. Having this allowed a wider market for the coal that was extracted from underground and mainly used in Nottingham. It is noted that Sir Francis Willoughby was able to finance the building of Wollaton Hall from the wealth created by coal mining.